Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Lie vs. Lay. It is, in my opinion, one of the most commonly confused rules of grammar out there. I have always prided myself on my grammatical skills; I know when to use 'good' and when to use 'well' and I do so accordingly. However, when it comes to the enigma that is lie vs. lay, I, like the rest of the masses, am a bit befuddled. Since I am currently using this verb most frequently, I felt it important to educate myself in order to speak in a grammatically correct fashion and to share my new-found knowledge with you...lucky you. I had some help in doing research on the subject -- actually, I did none, just asked my friend Kate, a high school English teacher, to clarify. And here is the conclusion: Most of us want to say that I am laying in a bed. That I have lain in a hospital bed for one month. That is partially true. I HAVE lain in a hospital bed for, to be specific, 29 days. However, I am currently lying. No, I AM telling the truth; I am not lying about my lying. See how this is confusing? I lie in a bed around the clock. I am in the habit of lying and by that I don't me that I am not a constant fibber, I mean that I am prone to being horizontal.

Today marks the conclusion of my 32nd week of pregnancy -- a huge milestone for preemie development! And I ain't lyin'. Though I am lying.

No comments: