Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 13, 2006

I have recently started to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Up until this week, I've been too busy just trying to survive the present. Now that I only have approximately another week and half here, and then two-ish weeks of bedrest at home, the end is in sight. After six weeks of bedrest in the hospital, what's a couple more at home?! When all is said and done, if Zachary doesn't come earlier than 36 weeks, I will have put in nine weeks of bedrest. That's two months and one week of perma-bed hair. 63 days of being horizontal. 1,512 hours of lying around while muscles atrophy, I eat and gain weight...lots and lots of weight. What a pretty picture I paint, indeed.

HOWEVER, it does sound like post-bedrest could be worse than the bedrest itself. Could the worst really be yet to come? Yesterday, the physical therapist came by to discuss life after bedrest with me. Once I’m given the go-ahead to join the upright Homo sapien world, the transition most certainly will not be immediate or easy. The P.T. told me that for most women, recovery from bedrest takes as long as the bedrest itself – that’d be nine weeks, people. Or (even more uplifting), in many cases, it takes two days for everyday that a woman was on bedrest. I could do the math (with the help of a calculator) to tell you how long that would be, but I’d really rather not. Of course, this is worst case scenario, and hopefully it won’t be my scenario, but it’s a bit daunting all the same. Especially when you consider that my very slow return to being vertical and walking on shakey legs will be whilst I recover postpartumly (yes, I’m making that a word), look after an active toddler and an infant all the while suffering the wrath of sleep deprivation.

While this is all very bleak and pessimistic, I really do like to prepare for the worst case scenario, that way, whatever happens – even if it’s really hard – is better than what you expected!

So, I guess running a half or full marathon this summer is out of the question, huh? Walking around the block will be accomplishment enough!

No comments: