Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Looking back...Some highlights/interesting aspects of this journey thus far:

On Thursday, I had a test done at the doctor's office that came back negative, thus telling us I had a less than 2% chance of going into labor in the next seven days. Hmmm...shouldn't this have been an indication to us Martins-with-the-unique-medical-needs that we should've just packed the hospital bag right then? It was only two days later that I started having contractions!

On Sunday, when they had me on a very high dose of the Magnesium, I got to experience some interesting side effects. When looking, at my dad's face, for example, I commented groggily 'Hey! you look like a Picasso painting! your eye ball is on your cheek and your mouth is above your nose. Wooooahhh.' Thanks, Dad, for providing me with some entertainment. Also, later when hearing the cries of newborn babies, I thought there were birds of prey flying right outside my window trying to communicate to me. It really is interesting how the cries of a newborn sound very similar to that of say, an eagle.

Thankfully, they took me off of the crazy high dose of Magnesium, and I'm now able to see straight, and hold (in my opinion) a semi-normal conversation. I've also managed to start looking at the bright sides of this whole situation. How many moms in the world would LOVE to trade places with me for a day?! I get to lounge in bed (A LOT, A LOT, A LOT), read, watch tv, even get on the computer occasionally, talk on the phone. I got a massage yesterday! And perhaps most magical of all, at the push of a button, very nice people will bring me graham crackers, peanut butter, and milk in the middle of the night. Is it really THAT bad?! Well, kind of. The hardest part of all, the part that makes me break down (so far, on average three times a day) is not being able to see Mike and Matthew more. The REALLY hard part is when Matthew has been here. He's obviously so confused and freaked out by this whole ordeal. He doesn't know what to think of Mommy laying in a strange bed in a weird place with tubes coming out of her arm. Yesterday, he called me 'scary Mommy' and said 'Don't like it, Mommy' when Mike tried to lay him on the bed with me. It broke my heart, but I know it's what's to be expected at this point. I didn't want to push him either. Hopefully, if we really are looking at this being a long-term ordeal (and that IS the goal), he'll eventually get used to things a bit. I'm thinking that maybe this weekend, we can bring one of his movies and his teddy bear from home and see if he'll get up on the bed and watch it with me. That would make this much easier to handle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the cries you were hearing were really Tetradactyls.

and ps....Dad really looks like that.

Ok just kidding Dad

Anonymous said...

Good thing you are kidding about Dad really looking like that, because you look much like your Dad!