Total Pageviews

Friday, March 17, 2006

I had a much better night's sleep last night. (Thanks in part to the beauty of modern medicine sleep-aids). And another pleasant surprise was not having to wake up at 7am to a blood-draw. Apparently the levels of Magnesium in my blood have been very stable, so they gave me the day off. How nice of them! Dr. Anton came into see me this morning and our plan is as follows: since the Magnesium Solfate is working and I'm handling it fairly well (I'm not TOO loopy on it), they're going to keep me on it (at 2 grams an hour, I believe) through Monday morning. I have to repeat my Glucose/Gestational Diabetes test on Monday morning, so after that, they'll probably wean me down to 1gram of the Magnesium. Monday, I'll also have another ultrasound -- both to measure Zach and my cervix. So, that'll be a big day.

They are monitoring my contractions around the clock and yesterday, I only had a handful of small ones (this was after taking me off the Motrin, so that's a good sign). They're also monitoring Zachary's heartbeat and activitiy for two hours a few times each day. The nurses have all said that they're very happy with how he looks, and that he's even advanced (not that that's a surprise to US!), doing things that a 32 weeker does (like a very good heart acceleration and then settling himself back down). He's a bit of a mischievious one though, and from time to time it's been difficult to track him because he's either a.) been swimming laps and moving around too much or b.) has had performance anxiety and has been playing hide-and-seek with the monitor/microphone. What a little monkey! And little indeed, as of a week ago today he weighed approx. 2.5 lbs., had a 9 inch waist, and was 13 inches long. So, he's a wee one, but exactly where he needs to be development-wise. AND exactly where he needs to be location-wise!

We've been in here for five days already which seems fast and slow at the same time. Thankfully, I haven't had time to be bored yet. What would I do without all of our amazing friends here?!!?! (And my parents, of course, too)! I've been blessed with a whole army of angels bringing things like a laptop (THANK YOU, Alice and Reiner!!), desk organizer with supplies and snacks (also, Alice), books, magazines, movies, flowers, toys for Matthew for when he's here, etc., etc. Not to mention the nonstop flow of love and support that we've been getting via emails and phone calls (when I'm able to answer!) . I promise that everyone will get a chance to get in on the spoiling of the Martin clan! We're looking at a few months (hopefully) of needing help, support and dinners and care for the boys at home. So, never fret, my friends, you'll all get in on the fun!

I have been SO unbelievably impressed with the doctors and especially the nurses here at Overlake. With the exception of one nurse who, while very nice, was quite loud and into chewing Sour Apple Bubblegum, I've had nothing but superior service!!! I got another massage today and also had a visit from the physical therapist to go over the exercises that I can be doing to keep from getting too sore or atrophied from laying in bed. Really, if I'd known that massages twice a week were part of the gig here, I may have checked in a while ago.

I'm hoping that this weekend, we can have Matthew come and spend a bit more time here -- watching a movie and cuddling. We'll see. I understand now how people feel when they don't see him that often -- going from seeing him nonstop to only about 30 minutes a day has been crazy. Everyday he has learned something new and is talking more and more. It also looks like he grows about an inch a day. Last night, when my parents arrived with him (to do the hand-off to Mike), I was sitting on the bed having my lungs listened to by the nurse. Matthew looked at me and said, "Mommy, diaper change?!" This whole business of Mommy laying on a bed with stuff in her arm sure does look strange, but luckily it hasn't come to that yet!!! Making trips to the bathroom is one of the highlights of my day!

No comments: