Total Pageviews

Monday, April 16, 2007

Top of the mornin’ to ya.

Mike and I had a great weekend – we were a presenting couple on an Engaged Encounter retreat. Zachary came with us while Matthew spent the weekend with my parents. We informed the couples on Friday evening that Zachary was part of the rent-a-baby program provided as propaganda by the Catholic Church (you know, to spread the Baby Bug to all the soon-to-be married couples for the purpose of going out and making Catholic babies). Thankfully, he did live up to the standards of the rent-a-baby program and he was VERY Good, Very Cute, and Very Entertaining – as always.

Matthew had a fantastic weekend of quality time with my parental units and his Uncle Chris. We now get to go through Detox in the Martin Household. We need to bring Zachary down from his center-of-attention withdrawals (he thought that all 33 engaged couples were there for the sole purpose of admiring him), and Matthew will be going through Grandparent-Spoiling-and-Withdrawals Detox. Wish me luck. It should be interesting.

The boys were ridiculously cute in reuniting last night after a weekend apart. They were like two puppies just released from their crate – literally running (or crawling) in circles around each other. The joy lasted a few solid minutes before we started to hear, “No, Zachy. That’s MY toy.” And then we made it another couple of minutes before there was a bonked head and cry from the other room. Welcome home.

Now that Matthew has more verbal communication skills (and the fact that he has a mom going through therapy), he’s very open to discussing his emotions. This weekend, according to my Mom and Dad, he had one moment of sadness missing Mommy and Daddy and wanting to be at home, but that was quickly remedied with some cuddles and story-reading with Grandma. Then yesterday morning, around breakfast time, Matthew rested his head on his hand and heaved a great big sigh. My Dad inquired as to what was wrong, and Matthew replied, “I’m very frustrated ‘cuz I miss my Mom and Dad.”

In that case, I was frustrated too with missing my Matthew.

This morning I’m filled with gratitude. I’m grateful for my family. I’m grateful to be home. I’m grateful that we were able to spend a weekend helping couples prepare for marriage. I’m grateful to not be spending this spring in the hospital. And I’m grateful for coffee and my daily antioxidant dose in the form of a Dark Chocolate Hershey Kiss.

No comments: