Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Matthew is a total stud-muffin. Out of four boys to choose from, Isabella (one of the two girls in preschool class) has fallen head-over-heels in love with Matthew. I certainly can’t blame her; Matthew is as handsome as he is charming and as funny as he is intelligent. This girl knows how to pick ‘em. (We frequently go to the park after preschool with Isabella, so this could have something to do with why she singled him out too).

Since we had Spring Break last week, we’ve not seen Ms. Bella for two weeks. Apparently, she’s been talking to her mom Karrie, nonstop about Matthew. Mom Karrie reported to me that Isabella begs to have a play date with Matthew. Though Isabella doesn’t refer to him as just Matthew she calls him – lovey-dovey voice and all – “Matthew, My Heart.”

So, apparently all during preschool yesterday, Isabella followed her “Heart” around —touching Matthew, trying to hold his hand, and – venturing on a different tactic – asking him to chase her. Matthew would either have none of it or was playing hard-to-get. He was busy wearing a fireman’s hat, carrying another fireman’s hat and shoving tools down his pants (in a make-shift tool belt, you see).

Eventually, Isabella’s hard wooing-work paid off. During Circle Time, she sat down on the rug next to Matthew. Ms. Susan filled me in that she watched as Matthew – ever so discretely – scooted closer to Isabella and Isabella scooted all the nearer to him. By the end of Circle Time, the two lovebirds were right next to each other, practically cuddling. Ms. Susan told me that she usually doesn’t see young love develop in the Almost 3’s class…they usually wait until they’re at least four!

* * * * *

I know now why Matthew was so intent on carrying around the firemen hats. In the past, Matthew has always answered the question “What do you want to be when you grow-up” with the same response: “A man.” While this is an accurate answer that shows his level of intellectual depth, it’s not quite what we were looking for. But today, Matthew’s answer was “a fireman!”

After a moment, my three-year-old asked me, “What do you grow up?” Thinking at first that maybe my son was subtlety asking me WHEN will you grow up? I paused and then answered, “Well, technically, I already am a grown-up, but…I’d like to be a writer. I want to write stories and books.”

Matthew grinned broadly at me. “Stories about dinosaurs and trucks?!” he exclaimed. “Maybe,” I said, “Sure. I could write about that and other stuff too.”

A few minutes later I was writing a list (what else?) when I heard Matthew gasp. I quickly looked up and he said, “Look! Mommy you’re a writer!” Yes, yes I am.

* * * * *

I’m really confusing Zachary. Every time he climbs up the stairs, he goes straight for our “greenery” (fake, dusty Ficus tree). I shake my head and say, “No, no, Zachary. Don’t touch.” Then he points to it and pretends like he’s going to touch it. “No, no, no,” I repeat. He points again and then he shakes his head and says, “Nuh, nuh, nuh.” “That’s right,” I say, “No, no, no.” Do you see where this is going? Now, whenever we go by the plant, he points, shakes his head and says, “Nuh, nuh, nuh.” He thinks that’s what the tree is called, and why wouldn’t he?!

Another fun Zachy fact: the kid must think I’m on the phone all the time (which, I swear I’m not. I feel like I rarely get to have an actual phone conversation any more). He now frequently picks up whichever toy is nearby, holds it up to his ear like a phone and nodding, says, “Hiya. Hi. Hiya. Hiya. Hi.” The discussion seems to change a little bit but the conversation topic is always the same. He better come up with something new to talk about or people are going to get really bored with him!

No comments: