Total Pageviews

Monday, February 05, 2007

Zachary is orange. Literally. His nose, especially just looks a little bit orange-ish. When I questioned Dr. Benda about it at his check-up last week, she said, "Ahh, yes. I noticed it right away. That's what we call the carrot tan as in beta carotene, carrot tan. Some babies, particularly when they're first starting solids turn a little bit orange while they adjust to their new foods especially sweet potatoes, squash, and carrots." Thankfully, Zach's orange-hue is concentrated on his nose, but apparently some babies turn orange from head to toe. As long as the whites of their eyes are still white (ruling out Jaundice), than it's fine and their fake-tan-look will fade over time. But in the meantime, I'll need to find clothes that will complement his orange complexion.

It should come as no surprise that Zachary is a genius, an orange genius, none-the-less. At nine months old, he is not only a skilled athlete (his specialty is gymnastics and is also semi-pro in the Olympic event the Speed Crawl) but he is also a talking prodigy. Last week, whilst I wrestled him into a diaper, Zach said, (and I DO NOT exaggerate) "hot." In shock I said, "Zachary!! Did you just say hot?" To which he replied, "Yeah." Now, I realize that most likely he had no idea that his noises were actual words that mean something, but come on, that's pretty impressive! Then, later that same day, while sitting in the grocery cart (near the yogurt and eggs, by the by), Zach for the first time looked at me and said, "Mama!" Now, if I could only get him to combine the two: "Hot" and "Mama" and we'll be good to go.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

What's happenin' HOT Momma!?
Love the last couple posts. Thanks for the response on mine! Glad you liked them. I posted a few new bits just like you. I'm getting the hang of this thing!

Thank you ever so much for that lovely card. I felt all warm and squishy inside.

Gwen said...

OH - yeah! I forgot to tell you... Arthur was juicing and drinking SO many carrots that at 17 he too turned orange. But, in time it went away. Truely funny though when mom says, "OH my Gosh Arthur, you're ORANGE!" To which Arthur replys, "No I'm not!" with such great huff and heavy emphasis on the N.