Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

I know, I know, it’s kinda been a while since I last updated, and I have yet to post my Chicago-trip pics. It’ll happen, someday. I have no one to blame on the tardiness and blog-slackage except…my children. Yes, I’ll blame them. Sing it with me now: SCHOOL’S OUT FOR SUMMER. SCHOOL’S OUT FOREVER. Sadly, Matthew’s days as a preschooler (and it was a lot of days! THREE years’ worth!) have come to an end. We bid adieu last week to his teachers and buddies and his lengthy preschool career. I’m quite thankful that Zach will be in the same preschool for at least two more years. I’m definitely not ready to say goodbye permanently yet.

So, here we are officially on Day Two of Summer Vacation and based on the boys’ behavior the last couple of days, I’m already counting down to the start of school. I even said to Matthew yesterday after multiple time-outs, “Dude, it’s going to be a LONG summer if you have to spend it all in time-out.” I don’t know what his deal was. Maybe he’s going through the grieving process of closing a monumental chapter in his life. I should respect his need to work through this transition and all of the mixed emotions that come with it. Yeah right. I’m not respecting anything if it means letting him burp in my face, yell and slam doors. Process-Shmocess. The kid was a-ca-razy man yesterday. I hope this ‘phase’ passes quickly or I seriously may be signing MYSELF up for summer school.

Looking way back to when things were good (like last week) – the boys were so happy to have me home from the Windy City. Mike did a phenomenal job with holding down the fort whilst I was away, but he was awfully glad to have me back! I felt ever-so-appreciated. And then he immediately disappeared into work and work on the EE Convention website. He has a deadline this Friday, so the poor man didn’t get home from work until 10:30 last night.

Thankfully at least one night last week, he was home early enough for us to barbeque and eat out on the deck. Issue Number One: I spilled my glass of wine. It makes me so very sad to see perfectly good wine go to waste but I resisted from licking the puddle off the deck. Issue Number Two: I somehow managed – and I still don’t know how – to stab myself in the cheek with my small, two pronged corn on the cob holder. Blood and all…two little pokes like I’d been bitten by a lost and confused vampire. Mike accused me of wanting to add to my facial piercing.

Post Issues One and Two, came, you guessed it! Issue Number Three: I was sweeping the deck and nearly poked out Mike’s eye with the broom handle. He quickly gathered the children to him and shepherded them inside to safety, saying, “Boys, let’s get inside before Mommy hurts anyone else.” I don’t know what my damage was! Maybe I was just all excited for our weekend plans.

On Saturday morning, we got to attend a private screening of the new Pixar film “Up.” We ALL loved it. I then got to see my favoritest college roommate Liane (who also was a bridesmaid and my marathon running buddy) for her baby shower. We then went to church, took the boys out to a fun diner for burgers and classic car show, came home, got them to bed, and then I headed out for my birthday celebratory Girls’ Night. Phew! It was quite the packed day! And then Sunday we went to a friends’ house for a BBQ. Needless-to-say, I thought Summer Vacation was off to a grand start…hmmm, just need to get the boys on board with this no-school phenomenon. Who-da thought that they’d be the ones having issues with all of our fun-in-the-sun free time?! Weirdos! =o)

No comments: