Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I realize that they are just toenails. Do they even really serve a purpose? And yet, as of Sunday, I’m obsessed with them. Not toenails, in general, but my oh-so pretty, girly, floraled and bedazzled toenails. Normally, I’m not such a huge fan of even my toes – they’re a bit oddly shaped. I’ve had the honor of inheriting my dad’s, we’ll call them unique, curvy toes. But if my toenails are pretty, it’s hard not to love the whole foot package.

My good friend Rebecca decided that instead of celebrating Zachary’s first birthday with a gift for him (really what did he do anyway?); I was the one that deserved a little spoiling. So she and I got pedicures. Heavenly. We both went all out and received not only the standard paint job, but we also ended up with flowers hand-painted on our big toe nails…our big toenails…our big toe toenails…whatever. It’s all quite strange when you think about it, but SO CUTE when you see it. I came home so obsessed with my own toenails that I immediately took a picture (for your viewing pleasure at http://mikenjennymartin.home.comcast.net ) and vowed to never wear socks or normal shoes again. It’s sandals, only sandals, for me. Come freak spring snowstorm or standard Seattle rain, it would be a crime to cover up these cute toes!

We had a play date scheduled for this morning, so with eager anticipation I got ready for the big outing. I planned my entire outfit around my bright pink, floralized nails. Both boys were in the car, ready to go, when I realized I was without my sunglasses. (Thankfully it was a relatively warm and sunny, sandal-appropriate day). I thought that perhaps I’d left them in the running stroller. After a quick check, I turned up sunglassless; they weren’t there. As I stepped over the lawnmower back to the car, I somehow caught my foot – yes, my pretty-pretty princess foot!on the top of the lawnmower. A cry escaped my lips as I tripped and caught myself on the side of the car.

Matthew said, “Mommy? Are you OK? What happened?” I think I managed to successfully keep all profanities inside my head and what came out was a stream of, “Owie. Ow. OW!” I sat down in the driver’s seat to survey the damage. That’s when I saw it, “NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Part of my right big toe flower prettiness had completely broken off. I was in pain – physically and emotionally; I hurt. Complete devastation. Matthew reassured me, “It’s OK. It’s just your toe.” Yes, but it was my pretty-pretty flower toe. Thankfully, all was not lost, most of the floral design remains, but part of my nail – and my soul – was shattered in that brief moment.

No comments: