Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Snow Cones

We’re currently in that transition phase.  It takes the boys about a week as we shift gears (either into vacation or back into school) for them to work out the kinks and realize that they’ll be together A LOT so they best get used to the other’s constant existence.  So, that’s where we at.  It’s the first full week of summer vacation and, thankfully, (or not), we don’t have a ton scheduled for right now, so they’re getting a lot of together time. 

One thing that (maybe) helped with this is that Matthew and I left for the weekend.  We left Saturday morning to head to the beach house where my mom and brother were already busy at work.  We met with a real estate agent Saturday afternoon and the house will be on the market by the end of this week.  Sniff sniff.  I’m so sad to see the house go but I know it’s what mom needs to do.  She also has her Bellevue condo on the market. (So, for a couple of weeks, we worked like mad to get that ready.  We’re still Craigslisting, clearing things out and packing for her July 3rd move.) 

We spent Saturday working like crazy just clearing out extra ‘stuff.’  It’s all so overwhelming.  By the end of the day, we had both of our minivans jam-packed with stuff to drop off at Goodwill. I told Matthew that the main reason I brought him was to be my personal child servant.  He thought I was kidding.  Poor kid.  Now, we did allow him some breaks (just to keep it legal) – he and Chris watched the Mariner’s game and even went out and played a little baseball too.  Finally, by 6pm, we were ready to take a much-needed break and go to the pool.

As we pulled into the parking lot, we saw an older gentleman standing next to this crazy tricked out VW bus-turned snowcone truck/stand-deal.  It was covered in bumper stickers. (A couple examples: “Sometimes you’re the bug; sometimes you’re the windshield.” “Buckle up – it’s harder for the aliens to suck you out that way.” And my favorite, “I’m not stressed, you’re just FREAKING ME OUT.”) 

Matthew said, “Ooh! Snow cones! Can I have one?” (These were my exact thoughts too).

“Sorry, kiddo, I don’t have any money,” I said.

“Me neither,” my mom added.

“Maybe they’re free!” Matthew said hopefully.

“Ha! Nothing in life is free,” Mom scoffed.

We got out of the car and slowly started heading towards the pool – exhausted and overwhelmed from our day’s work and the cleaning and packing that awaited us.

“Would you like a free snow cone?” A voice yelled from behind us. 

During these past 7 months (tomorrow) since dad died, there have been many ‘free snow cone’ moments.  I’m thankful that, despite feeling like a complete emotional mess most of the time, I’ve been able to recognize and appreciate these brief breaks.
I wish I could’ve sat on the deck last weekend and enjoyed this view, but part of me didn’t want to.  Sometimes it’s easier just to stay busy.  Just to keep moving.  Dad sure loved this view (who wouldn’t?!) and it’s hard to enjoy it without him.   

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I want a snow cone too! How awesome is that?! And what a beautiful photo. Such an amazing place.