Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The boys' musings

The other night, Zachary was reading out loud to me from the book he’s really enjoying.  The character in the book was talking about college.  Zach looked up from the page and said, “Uh, mom, speaking of college, we better start saving up for that, huh?”

I explained that – while it’s not a lot – we do have college savings plans and we put a little money in every month.

“Like $5?” he asked, chuckling.

“Well, a little more than that,” I said defensively.  “But you’re welcome to start saving up as well.  Besides, you’ll get a job and help pay for college like dad and I did.”  That shut him up real quick.

Meanwhile, as Zachary contemplated his future, Matthew was in his room delving deeper.  He showed me this poem that he’d written, "life goes on....things go by....you will never change....you will get old....you will die and live forever." 

 He’d actually had "you will die and live together" but crossed out together and went with forever. 

I’ll admit my first thought was this sounded like something that I probably wrote as a 12 year old girl, but the fact that my 10 year old son had written was pretty surprising and impressive.

I complimented him and asked what he’d written this about.  He responded, “Like God and stuff.”

No comments: