Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Epic July times

I feel like the last week plus was seriously epic.  We packed SO much into ten-ish days.  I successfully painted our master bathroom (including the double sink vanity).  I won’t take an ‘after’ picture until we have the light fixtures moved and the huge mirror reinstalled.  So, it might be a bit, but it looks good!
Last week, while I painted (on the hottest summer days yet), the boys did sports camp.  Matthew was outside in the heat for three days doing baseball camp.  Zachary was in a stifling hot, stuffy gym doing basketball camp.  Kicking off the week of sports camp, we took the boys to their first ever Mariners game.  We even got to parade around the field before the game started since it was “world little league” day.  It was pretty sweet!  Matthew LOVED the game – especially now that he considers himself quite the baseball player and expert.  (He currently wants to be a Mariners player when he grows up).  Zachary enjoyed the game mostly because of the endless treats we kept doling out.  He would’ve been a little happier if games were only four innings long.   
We did lots of other fun stuff – Mike and I had a couple of date nights (woohoo!).  We went to the zoo; the kids rode the carousel.  We set up the slip ‘n slide in the backyard (Kayli now LOVES it).  We had a nice, pretty chill 4th.  We played baseball.  We swam in our neighbors’ pool.  We did yardwork and projects around the house.  The kids did a lemonade stand at the end of our driveway and – the pressure! – I had to make and attempt to live up to their advertising that we’d be serving the “world’s best lemonade!!”  All in all, summer’s been splendid…despite the fact that we’ve been sleeping like total dooty.
Kayli’s cold of a month ago turned into a hacking cough that kept her up at night for weeks.  Eventually the cough went away (thank goodness), but the weeks of sleepless nights and rare napping has turned into her having “night terrors.”  For a few nights, we thought she was just having full on tantrums in the middle of the night because she was awake.  We’ve since done some research and figured out that she’s actually still asleep but having a monster fit in her sleeping-ish fatigue.  It’s been rough.  We did get good sleep for two nights but then last night she was up again screaming, kicking, yelling, throwing punches, nearly running into walls, throwing books, etc.  Sigh. Good times.  And the REAL fun of it, is you’re supposed to just let the fit ‘run its’ course.’  Last night, I took objects away as quickly as I could before she could throw them.  Well, the little gal is fast and managed to get a book before I could.  She somehow hit herself in the mouth before chucking it, thus waking herself up in her hysteria and pain.  Finally, then, she let me cuddle and comfort her and eventually put her back to bed.
So, the last weeks have been super fun with some sleep-deprived stressful, but the biggest most momentous occasion of all occurred last night.  We had THE TALK with Matthew.  Thanks to a helpful tip from Rebecca and using the genius book that she’d told me about, “It’s So Amazing – a book about eggs, sperm, birth, babies and families” (by Robie Harris), we got through THE TALK very well.  I’d gone through the book and marked some pages that might be helpful, and after reading outloud to Matthew the general overview on sexual intercourse, I looked up to see how he was doing.  His jaw literally dropped and with mouth open he sat there with a look like, “Um, for reals?!  You gotta be kidding me.”  After explaining how all this crazy baby-making business works, we kept asking if he had questions.  He had many.  My favorite was, after being so shocked by this news, he said, “Do I, like have other body parts that I don’t even know about yet?!”  He also pointed to the framed picture from our wedding and said, “So, right after that you…ya know…?”  Ahhh, good times and PHEW! That that went so well! 

No comments: