Total Pageviews

Monday, January 23, 2012

Zachary is ridiCUTEulously clever. The kid says stuff that blows me away. He’s a little too smart for his own good. He has a very quick and witty sense of humor. And he’s already got his life mapped out. He plans to be a book author and on the side dabble in dancing in scuba diving. Side note: in discussing, moving to a new house and getting their own bedrooms, the boys were discussing what themes they’d like. Matthew insists that he wants a Star Wars theme bedroom. Zach thought for a moment but quickly settled – and has been committed ever since – to having an “Adventures of the Darkness” bedroom. So far, there are two books in his “Adventures of the Darkness” series. I don’t know if it’s a trilogy or how many installments are in the works. When I asked him what an “Adventures of the Darkness” bedroom would look like, he just said, “Look at my books for ideas, Mom.”

This weekend, his latest novella is titled “Spies on Moonlight.” I’m sure it’ll be on the shelves of your local bookstore soon.

Zachary has another plan: he doesn’t want a “real” job (apparently the book writing, scuba diving, dancing stuff doesn’t count. He will be a father and his wife will work.) His wife, you say? Well, yes, that’s all figured out too. He’ll be marrying his betrothed, Veronica. See, Rebecca and I decided early on that we should arrange a marriage between at least two of our offspring. It only seems appropriate with all the possible boy-girl combos between our two families, someone is bound to fall in love and get married. Arranged marriages work all the time in other cultures, so maybe we could fuel the fire a bit – help plant the seed of LUV in order to make this thing a SURE thing.

I don’t really remember how we decided on the Zachary-Veronica combo, but so far it seems to be a good match. Zach is 4 years and one month (to the day!) older than his future-fiance/wife, so he’ll need to be patient (a virtue he currently lacks but will hopefully master).

This year, at our clan’s “Camp Christmas” staycation/New Year’s weekend celebration, Zach unleashed his true feelings for Veronica. She was sitting on the floor playing with some of Kayliana’s toys when Zachary came upstairs. No one else was around (besides me, quietly watching this love story unfold), and apparently Zach wanted to use the opportunity.

He got down on the floor in front of Veronica and in the sweetest, most tender voice I’ve ever heard come out of that child’s mouth he said, “You are so cute. You are cuteness, my wife.”

Then, and I kid you not, he put his hand on her shoulder, looked into her eyes and whispered, “You are my future wife. You are my destiny wife.”

OK. Seriously if these two don’t marry how can I use this stuff in a speech at the rehearsal dinner or wedding reception?!

I quickly reported the adorable interaction to Rebecca and Mike. While, of course, it’s cute, we did want to make sure that Zachary understands that we’re (10%) kidding about our hope that one day those two kids would fall in love. When Zach was in the bathroom brushing his teeth and getting ready for bed, I decided to have a little heart-to-heart.

“You know, kiddo,” I said, “We’re kidding when we say that you have to marry Veronica.”

“But I want to!” Zach quickly responds.

“OK, but what if she decides to marry someone else?” I gently inquire – hoping to not wound him too much.

“Well…” Zach says and then pauses, thinking, for a long moment, “That’d be a problem……[another long pause]….that I would just have to solve!”


The best friends and proud mothers/mothers-in-law

No comments: