Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 15, 2009

I have ITBS which is not to be confused with IBS. What I have pertains to the southernly body regions but, thankfully, more southern than the bowels. Iliotibial Band Syndrome is: “one of the leading causes of lateral knee pain in runners. The iliotibial tract is a superficial thickening of tissue on the outside of the thigh, extending from the outside of the pelvis, over the hip and knee, and inserting just below the knee.” (Thank you, Wikipedia). So, the best thing you can do to treat ITBS? Stop running!! Which to some may seem like a dream come true. Yeah, not to me. Running is my therapy, and I NEED therapy!

I’ve spent this week (ever since Monday morning’s pain-filled run) trying to figure out how to deal with this (i.e. how to make this ITBS situation disappear like it never existed ever). I’ve gotten two different pairs of new running shoes to try (pair #2 definitely helped, so pair #1 will get returned), I have avoided running (sadly), but since I can’t just NOT do something, I’ve been to the gym Tuesday, Wednesday and plan to go today. I can do the Spin cycling class and some other forms of cross-training but need to avoid certain things like the treadmill (obviously), the stair climber (which I do every week), and squats (which I also do every week). I’ve been icing like crazy, and I also met with a trainer yesterday at the gym. He showed me some stretches and how to use the Big Foam Roller of Torture (my name for it) to massage pulled ligaments and muscles.

What stinks most about this injury is the fact that Andrea (the best running partner friend in the world…also known as my therapist) and I were just getting back into our running routine post-snow and post-sickness. I had three weeks off from running! Why couldn’t I have nursed this injury then?! And Andrea and I need running now more than ever to undo a wee bit of weight gain damage that occurred thanks to the snow/sick-non-running and holiday-eating that occurred for those three weeks.

AND I was just ready to announce unto the world that my hope (my plan, my goal) is to train for my first road race post-Zachary’s birth. I’ve ALWAYS wanted to do a Rock ‘n Roll Marathon (a band plays at every mile!) but they only take place in far away exotic lands such as San Diego, Phoenix and San Antonio (not to mention hot lands!). Obviously, with our kids, that’s just tricky talk. But, something magical has happened, the Rock ‘n Roll chain ‘o races is coming to us!! The first ever Seattle Rock ‘n Roll Marathon will take place on June 27, 2009, and I SOOOOoooooooooooooo want to do it. The Half. Training for a Full Marathon right now would just be too draining with my kids/teaching/writing/life schedule. Plus, my mom said if I even considered running 26.2 miles again she’d have me committed.

So, the Half (13.1 miles) it is. This is actually surprisingly do-able. We already run 6 miles, 3 times a week, and I’d have plenty of time to build up my mileage gradually…if, I’m not in excruciating knee pain, that is. Yes, June is a long ways away, but I’d like to register by Feb. 28th (to get the cheaper fee) and know that I’m physically capable of committing to the training. ANYWAY, enough about my running woes.

After one of my gym workouts this week, I got Zach from the Kids’ Club (always sad to leave), and we went to pick Matthew up from preschool. I could tell, as soon as I saw him, that something was wrong. He looked ready to burst into tears. Mrs. Morris also noticed his melancholy nature and came to investigate.

We both asked him what was wrong. And trying so hard not to let the tears spill out he said, “Luke had extra brownies from his birthday treats and he wouldn’t let me have another one!”

I explained that it wouldn’t have been fair for Matthew to get two if all the kids didn’t get two and there probably weren’t enough leftovers for that…

“NO!” Matthew yelled. “I wanted the brownie for you, Mom! But he wouldn’t give it to me. I wanted to give it to you!” Yes, this is how much my children know that I love chocolate and it makes me immensely happy.

1 comment:

Aaron Kokorowski said...

How about plain old simple walking? Walking is slower than running sure, but more relaxing I'd say.