Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

May!

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  It’s been a while.  I really haven’t figured out a way to add time to my days yet.  I even say that to the kids (especially Zachary – when he starts whining about not having enough time to do something).  I always say, “Sorry, but I can’t add time to the world.”  Really wish I could.

Anyway, here’s a fun project that we did make time for recently.  Zach has wanted to make a fairy garden for quite a while.  We spent Mother’s Day morning going to thrift stores and craft stores to stock up on goods.  I think the most fun find was what he used for the little brick walkway.  It’s one of those stones that you heat in the oven for keeping your bread warm.  Clever kid.  It was a fun project and a good distraction from the other busy activities.


Let’s see, what all’s gone on?  Zach turned 10.  (We’ll be celebrating this summer with a family overnight at Great Wolf Lodge – swim amusement park place.  Matthew made him this epic birthday card with “Zach Sparrow” instead of “Jack Sparrow.”
Kayliana turned 5.5years old.  She’s one of the youngest on her softball t-ball team.  (The ominous sounding “Blue Butterflies.”)  She’s holding her own though!  I told her that – seeing as Matthew hung up his bat and retired from baseball after last season, that – while it’s totally up to her – she WILL love softball and WILL play through college.  She graduates from preschool next week. 
Matthew is still taking trumpet lessons and tries out this week to be bumped up to the 7th/8th grade band next year.  He’s worked his butt off in 6th grade and currently has all A’s!  He’s starting to show some serious maturity (a requirement before he gets a cellphone for his 13th birthday) and – miracle of all miracles! – I found him doing dishes without anyone telling him to.  He also babysits Kayli once a week while I take Zach to his acting class.  So far, I’ve only received a handful of tear-infused, frustrated-with-her phone calls.



Mom had a full knee replacement a few weeks ago.  My brother Timothy and I took turns being her coach and helper-outter.  I’ll admit it was almost a vacation to stay in her quiet apartment and pick up meals from the restaurant in her building.  Not a bad gig. 

Mike, Zach and I all got to attend the Broadway-touring show of Newsies. It was SO stinkin’ amazing.  Geez.  It was a nice break for Mike and I who have both been working A LOT.

Meanwhile, my kindergartners put on their own astounding performance – a dramatic retelling of Going on a Bear Hunt complete with some fun songs I added in.  Now, we focus on preparing for their Kindergarten graduation.  They will play three songs on Boomwhackers – Ode to Joy, Star Wars and Pomp and Circumstance.  Then they’ll sing this touching number (and play bells while making their parents shed sentimental tears): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNjdrbJAKE&index=1&list=PLJ9ssphVKe02jkbDR7-CXT042f5vSZbZ6.  Not my best singing/performance, but I wanted to do it slowly and clearly enough for the Kindergartners to use for practice.  Kayli has also really enjoyed making a cameo in many of my videos – especially the dinosaur ones.  

 

No comments: