Total Pageviews

Friday, March 04, 2011

So much for getting back into the routine after Midwinter Break! Matthew made it to school on Monday and then has stayed home sick every day since then. I seem to be getting the cold now too but so far it’s not too bad. I did manage to get out of the house three evenings in a row though (much needed outings from the sick-house). I went for runs on Tuesday and Thursday when Mike got home from work and on Wednesday, my parentals and brother came over to hold down the fort while Mike and I went out with the young adult group at church. Good times.

So, a very funny thing happened on my runs this week. I’m sure this has happened before and I just didn’t notice it. And I’m sure that Mike could explain the physics of why and how this happened, but I don’t really want to know – it was just very cool. On one stretch of my run, I happened to be very aware of my running shadow sprinting (that’s right!) on the ground in front of me thanks to the many streetlamps I passed. For whatever reason (the angle, my immense speed), I noticed that every once in a while, there would be TWO of my running shadows and then all of a sudden the second place, slower shadow would speed up and catch the first place shadow and they would melt into just one shadow. This was kind of the coolest thing I’ve ever seen. I tried to get all deep about it – what did this all mean? Was I running with myself? Against myself? Watching two halves of my running self unify into one made me wonder if there have been aspects of me missing that are finally (thanks to running frequently again – which IS my therapy) reuniting. Woah, man. Heavy stuff.

Nothing. I couldn’t come up with anything cool or deep about it. I just enjoyed trying to chase my shadows and watching which one was going to win. We finished together. A tie. In the end, we’re all winners, my friends. Yeah. Deep.

No comments: